Monday, January 28, 2013

Pinterest Day: Egg Casserole in a Crock Pot


I am finally back to the world of the living after 2 weeks with the worst cold/cough/horribleness.  I did not move far from my couch during that time, and now it seems like the end of January came out of nowhere!  I am ready to get back into the swing of things!

I saw a recipe via Pinterest for an egg casserole made in a crock pot.  I love any kind of egg casserole, but I never thought of making one in a crock pot before.  It is pure genius; you put it together the night before and wake up to a hot breakfast ready to go! 

You can go to this blog for the recipe I based mine off of.  I tweaked mine a bit; halved the recipe to fit in my smaller crock pot and added some diced green chilies for some New Mexican flair.  It turned out delicious!   I will definitely be making this again.

Here’s the recipe:

½ Onion, diced
½ Green Bell Pepper, diced
1 Garlic Clove, minced
1 Tbsp Diced Green Chilies 
5 slices of Bacon
1 lb bag of frozen Hash Browns
¾ C. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
6 Eggs
Salt
Pepper
Smoked Paprika
Tabasco Sauce

First cook the bacon.  When it is cooled crumble it up.  While that’s cooking, chop up the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and green chilies and mix together.  (The original recipe said to then sauté the veggies, but c’mon, ain’t nobody got time for that!)

Spray the crock pot with cooking spray (even if you’re using a crock pot liner, it will stick to it).  Spread 1/3 of the hash browns on the bottom of the crock pot.  Top that with 1/3 of the veggie mixture, 1/3 of the bacon, and 1/3 C. of the shredded cheese.  Repeat these layers two more times, ending with cheese.

Whisk together the eggs and seasonings.  Add the salt, pepper, smoked paprika, and hot sauce to taste.  (If you haven’t used smoked paprika before, it is the best seasoning ever, I use it on everything.  Note that it is smoked paprika).  Pour the eggs over the other ingredients in the crock pot.

Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.


And then have sweet dreams of yumminess!

When you get up in the morning sprinkle on another 1/3 C. of cheese for a nice gooey-cheesy layer.  I also served mine with some salsa on the side.


This turned out really good, but it was a little on the dry side.  I think the next time I make this I will add some milk to the eggs to give it more moisture and fluffiness.  I also slept in and cooked it for the whole 10 hours, maybe at 8 hours it wouldn’t be as dry.

Anyway, this was a super easy and very yummy recipe that has a lot of room for variation!  If you have a bigger crock pot you can easily double it and feed a crowd! Hope you try it!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    An Thái Sơn chia sẻ trẻ sơ sinh nằm nôi điện có tốt không hay võng điện có tốt không và giải đáp cục điện đưa võng giá bao nhiêu cũng như mua máy đưa võng ở tphcm địa chỉ ở đâu uy tín.

    ReplyDelete