Monday, November 12, 2012

Pinterest Day: Pumpkin Roll Up

As the seasons headed into fall, I found myself pinning a lot of pumpkin recipes.  Pumpkin flavored everything is one of the best things about fall!  For this Pinterest post I decided to try out two pumpkin recipes: a pumpkin roll from My Baking Addiction blog and a pumpkin bundt cake from Never Enough Thyme. 

Both recipes turned out awesome; so awesome in fact that we ate the bundt cake before I even got a picture of it!  Guess since I’m still new to blogging I haven’t yet gotten into the habit of photographing everything ;).

So, even though I don’t have a pic of my bundt cake, it turned out super yummy, very moist and light.  I definitely recommend trying it out.

The pumpkin roll I did take pictures of, because the process of making a roll is more involved than making a bundt cake.  This one also turned out really yummy, but mine wasn’t quite as pretty as the gal’s I got the recipe from.   Here’s mine:


You can get the recipe here, but I am going to show the steps so you can see how the process looks. 

I will also take a moment here to admit that I am something of a pumpkin purist.  Growing up, my mom always mashed up our Halloween pumpkins and turned them into glorious Thanksgiving pies.  I have always been able to taste the difference between a dessert that uses fresh pumpkin and canned pumpkin, and I always prefer the fresh.  So, every year I cook and mash up my Halloween pumpkins and turn it into my own glorious pies and breads and cookies. 

If you’ve never cooked with fresh pumpkin, I recommend it!  Try it and see what a great difference it makes!  Ok, done with my pumpkin preaching.  For your pleasure, here is a pic of my pumpkin mash, ready to be divvied up and frozen:


 
The pumpkin roll batter can be a little liquidy.  (It’s basically like pumpkin bread.)  After mixing all the ingredients you spread it evenly in a parchment lined jelly roll sheet.  I also sprayed the sheet underneath the parchment in case any batter seeped through it wouldn’t bake on.


 
After cooking you turn it out onto a floured dish cloth:



And roll it up:



Easy as that.  You let it completely cool before unrolling it.  Here’s where I had some trouble.  When I’ve made rolls before, I’ve rolled them up in parchment or wax paper, but the directions for this roll used a towel so I thought I’d try that out.  I didn’t have much luck:



 Yep, that’s a nice layer of my roll left behind on the towel.  Maybe I didn’t flour it enough, or maybe I should have sprayed it with oil as well.  If you try this yourself, make sure to really flour it up.  I think if I do this again I may just use the parchment paper like I’ve done before; I always get fine results with that.

When I unrolled it I got a hole or two, but I just kind of mushed it together and it held fine.  Then you just slather on that yummy cream cheese filling and roll it back up.  Refrigerate for a while and it’s ready to eat!

 

 

Mine doesn’t have a nice glossy top since it left it on the towel, but really, who cares how pretty it is when it tastes so yummy!

 
Hope you try it out yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment